Key Sector Players
- KPLC owns all transmission and distribution assets, buys electricity in bulk from generating companies for transmission, distribution and retail to customers.
- The Kenya Electricity Generating Company (KenGen) manages and develops all public power electricity generating facilities. It sells electricity in bulk to KPLC.
- Independent Power Producers (IPPs) build, own and operate power stations and sell the power in bulk to KPLC.
- Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) reviews electricity tariffs and enforces safety and environmental regulations in the power sector as well as safeguarding the interests of electricity consumers.
- The Ministry of Energy formulates policy on the energy sector in addition to administering the Rural Electrification Scheme.
- The Rural Electricity Authority (REA) implements rural electrification projects on behalf of the government.
- Kenya Electricity Transmission Company (KETRACO) is mandated to construct new transmission lines with government funding to accelerate infrastructure development.
- Geothermal Development Company is tasked with developing steam fields to reduce upstream power development risks so as to promote rapid development of geothermal electric power.
- University of Nairobi - Estates Department Estates Department is charged with the responsibility of managing the University’s physical assets spread out in all the campus as well as in several regions of the country.